Let’s look at electric scooters.These are fun, affordable, and very eco-friendly.
Here’s the electric scooters we’ll be reviewing:
Xiaomi Mi Electric Scooter
We recommend the Xiaomi Mi Electric Scooter (Buy on Amazon) for everyone.
Max speed is 15.5 mph. Is that fast enough?
Yes – that’s as fast as you are going to want to go without a helmet.
Also, consider that these scooters have relatively small wheels (although they are 8.5″ in diamater) – they aren’t meant to hit objects in the road or on the sidewalk.
A relatively small object (like a stone or a stick) might give a scooter problems.
Therefore, we recommend – do be obsessed with speed.
15 miles per hour is plenty fast for a scooter.
That’s 5x faster than the average walking pace.
- [EXTREMELY FAST AND LONG-RANGE BATTERY LIFE] - A 250W motor propels the e-scooter to a max speed of 15.5 MPH. High capacity battery with a maximum travel range of up to 18.6 miles under specific conditions
- [PORTABLE FOLDING DESIGN] -Weighs just 26.9 lbs. Portable folding design for easy storage at home or hand carry when necessary.The sturdy frame is made of aerospace-grade aluminum
- [DOUBLE BRAKING SYSTEM] - Features a disc braking and eABS regenerative anti-lock braking system for an efficient, responsive braking distance of just 13.1ft.The large 8.5-inch front
- [INTUITIVE AND EASY-TO-LEARN] - Intuitive controls simplify learning and use for all ages while improving safety. The scooter frame, components and accessories use the same geometric design language
- [INTELLIGENT DESIGN]-The minimal yet modern design of Mi Electric Scooter has been awarded the prestigious Red Dot "Best of the Best" Award, as well as the iF Design Award 2017
The range for the Xiaomi Mi can be almost 19 miles – but your mileage may vary – as they say.
Why is this?
It depends on the load, the temperature, and other factors.
All these things can impact Lithium-Ion (Li-ion) battery performance.
This scooter uses 18650mAh Lithium battery technology – not unlike that in your laptop or smartphone!
It’s also the battery tech used in some of the older Tesla electric vehicles.
The scooter is powered with a 250W brushless motor.
These e-scooters need serious brakes too.
The Mi has both a disc braking system and eABS regenerative anti-lock braking system.
This ensures you can stop efficiently and safely.
Regenerative braking simply means that the electric motor is used to help bring the scooter to a stop – and this can provide a mild re-charge on the battery.
It’s one of those things that makes electric vehicles so much more efficient than fossil fuel powered transportation.
It has both brake/tail lights and headlights too.
Is this scooter practical for every day transportation?
Yes, we think it is.
As you can see – it folds up and is relatively light-weight at about 27 pounds.
That’s pretty light – but not feather light.
All that electric motor, regenerative braking system, and Li-Ion battery are pretty hefty.
The folding design means you can easily stow the scooter safely in your office or elsewhere when it is not in use.
Xiaomi claims you can fold it up in only 3 seconds.
The controls are simple – and you can always see the charge status right in front.
It’s got an app too – so you can check charge status on your phone – and more.
The Xiaomi Mi is a great electric scooter.
But, if you want to step up to a few more bells and whistles, let’s check out the PRO model.
Xiaomi Mi PRO M365 Electric Scooter
The big difference is a range boost – this model can go up to 28 miles.
Again, this will vary based on several factors – load, temperature, amount of regenerative braking done on the trip, and more.
- M365 Pro model with up to 28 miles range per charge
- Extremely fast and long-range Battery life-a 300W motor propels the e-scooter to a max speed of 25km/H. 474Wh high capacity battery with a maximum Travel range of up to 45km under specific conditions.
- Portable folding design-the sturdy frame is made of aerospace-grade aluminum. Weighs just 14. 2kg. Portable folding design for easy storage at home or hand carry when necessary.
- Front and rear 8. 5 inch tires-the front and rear tires are 8. 5-Inch rubber mixed material with good shock Absorption and road adaptability.
- Double braking system-features a disc braking and ears regenerative Anti-Lock braking system for an efficient, responsive braking.
It’s not all just about more range though.
As you can see, it has a more detailed display.
The PRO model also has a kinetic energy recovery system (KERS.) The KERS recovers a moving vehicle’s kinetic energy under braking for a longer duration.
It also has a cruise control system.
This helps to maintain a steady speed as set by the driver.
It’s a less stressful ride – especially for long distances.
The PRO model uses a Lithium Polymer battery.
A full charge can be done in 8-9 hours.
The PRO also has a 300W motor versus the 250W on the non-PRO model.
But, it is 5 lbs heavier than the non-PRO.
Goplus Foldable Electric Scooter – Ultra Light-Weight Scooter
Want an ultra light-weight electric scooter?
Check out the Goplus Foldable Electric Scooter (Buy on Amazon).
- Built To Last - The electric scooter features a rugged aluminum frame and ABS pedal capable of supporting riders up to 265 lbs or Age 15+ Teens. The 6.5'' wheels are made of high-strength rubber, premium comfort shock absorption.
- Monitor Display - LCD display can show speed, battery life, shift level, odometer and time accurately to tell you the status of the scooter. When riding at a constant speed for more than 6 seconds, the scooter will enter the cruise mode for convenient longer distance traveling.
- Long-term Battery Life - With premium 24V, 4.4ah Lithium Ion Battery, a 250W motor propels the e-scooter to a max speed of 14 MPH. Large capacity battery with a travel range of up to 5-6 miles. Rolling over inclines as steep as 20 degrees.
- Portable & Foldable Design - The 21 lbs e-scooter with one-second folding mechanism is easy carry to wherever you go such as office, school, coffee bar gym, subway and elevator. It can be easily stored in car trunks and closets, beneath subway seats, and inside other compact spaces when not use.
- Ride Safe on the Road - The Electric Scooter features a brake button and rear wheel fender braking system that bring the urban scooter to a speedy secure stop. Meanwhile, it is equipped with a bright headlight and warning light ensuring you ride safely in the dark.
It weighs in at only 21 lbs – so about a 6 pounds savings as compared to the Xiamoi.
It also has a 250W electric motor.
Where does the weight savings come from?
Well, it’s a pretty stream-lined design.
There’s less to it – and that includes the wheels (which are only 6.5″ in diameter) and the battery.
Personally, I don’t think the smaller wheels are the best compromise.
A smaller wheel will have more issues with obstructions in the roadway or sidewalk.
It’s also a less comfortable ride.
And by the way, you always want air filled (not solid) tires on these – for the best ride and comfort. Sure, you can get flat tires – but solid rubber tires are very fatiguing on rough surfaces.
Also as a consequence of the smaller battery – there is significantly less range – only 6 miles.
More Power – Mercane WideWheel
Want more power?
Like for going up steep hills?
Take a look at the Mercane WideWheel (Buy on Amazon).
This model has LOTS of power.
It can be had with a single 48V 500W electric motor – or an insane dual motor version – totally 1,000W.
Rather than use this for speed, we’d recommend this for going up and down hills, and large “full size” adults.
The single motor version is probably fine for most people.
- 2019 Model with key lock and Digital Meter
Just like the other versions, it folds.
But, it’s heavy at 46 lbs. That’s for the single motor version – the double weighs in at 50 lbs.
The other great thing about this – the wide wheels and suspension system.
This is a nice, comfortable riding scooter.
All that power and wide wheels give this scooter a small amount of “off road” capability as well.
NANROBOT D5+ High Power Scooter
The NANROBOT D5+ Electric Scooter (Buy on Amazon) is a bit on the crazy side.
First of all, it has a 2000W electric motor – and can hit speeds of 50mph.
That’s simply not safe for most conditions.
But it’s also got great range and load carrying capacity – up to 330 lbs.
- SPEED AND RANGE-D5+ is built from the ground up as a high performance electric scooter, with two 1000W motors and 52V26AH Lithium battery pack allowing for a top speed of 40 mph and longest range of 50 miles.
- DUAL MOTOR ALL-WHEEL DRIVE-D5+ provides dual motors with independent traction to both front and rear wheels for unparalleled control.As a result,D5+ instantly controls traction and torque to every wheel, with a superior all-wheel drive system.
- EMERGENCY BRAKING-D5+ comes standard with the front and rear EBS disc brake system，it can brake stably during emergency braking to prevent impact.
- DAMPING SYSTEM-6 shock absorbers & 10" pneumatic tires provide great shock absorption that make D5+ adapting to the roads of different terrains，reduce the bumpiness, improve the driver comfort.
- PORTABLE DESIGN-Folding mechanism allows D5+ folding/unfolding in seconds，it easily fits into cars' boots.And the power lock can better prevent thieves. Equipped with a bright headlight and turning lights ensure you ride safely in the dark.
It’s also expensive, and while we don’t recommend this model – you should know that it is available.
It also clocks in at 70 lbs – so it’s going to be hard to store.
Electric Scooters – In Summary
Want to dip your toe into the electric power revolution?
Try an electric scooter.
They are fun, affordable, and are a great city or suburbs transportation option.
Some photos are provided by the manufacturer.
Last update on 2019-10-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API