Turnkey Linux offers a LAMP (Linux Apache MySQL PHP) appliance – an ISO or VM to install or create a pre-configured Linux based web server. The install is very streamlined offering minimal bloat, as well as many other advantages: pre-installed and configured applications, text GUI configuration on initial boot, configured for automatic updates, based on a Long Term Support (LTS) version of Ubuntu. However, it is laking a Java Runtime Engine, which is a requirement for some server applications , such as Real Chat.
To install the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) do the following: (steps generated using the 11.0 RC release of the LAMP stack appliance):
1. Install VM , after configuration exit to command line
2. Login as root
3. edit /etc/apt/source.list.d/sources.list
4. Add the following line (anywhere), then save and quit
deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu lucid partner
5. apt-get update (we’re logged in as root, no need for sudo)
6. apt-get install sun-java6-jre
7. Follow installation prompts
8. Confirm installation using java -version:
java version "1.6.0_22"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_22-bo4)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 17.1-b03, mixed mode, sharing)