The Pocket Operator line of synthesizers have made making electronic music easy, fun, and portable.
Let’s check out this innovative line of synthesizers.
First of all, what is a synthesizer?
It’s an electronic musical instrument that can produce a wide variety of sounds by generating and combining signals of different frequencies.
You’ve heard one before – it’s the foundation of much of modern music.
And, you can easily make music with these with a surprisingly little amount of skill.
Here’s the Pocket Operator devices (from the company called Teenage Engineering) that will be reviewing in this article.
Let’s get to it.
After all, content creation costs will dominate VR production. So, let’s see what we can do about it.
The PO-32 is one of the newer models.
It is a drum synthesizer and sequencer – primarily intended to be a drum machine.
It is a drum and percussion synthesizer and sequencer with parameter locks, punch-in effects and unlimited sounds with microtonic vst through data transfer. (But this is an optional feature that requires another purchase.
It has a built-in speaker – so just this unit is all you need to make music.
But it’s also got a 3.5mm audio I/O port – so you can connect it to other things also.
What’s new with this?
The ability to import and export is the main difference.
It’s battery powered and takes 2 AAA batteries – that should last 1 month.
- OFFERS A TWEAKABLE DRUM SYNTH - The Teenage Engineering PO-32 is an advance drum synthesizer that features 16 preset sounds, which you can swap out via VST data transfer.
- SUPPORTS MICROTONIC VST/AU TRANSFER - You can combine PO-32 with a MicroTonic Plug-In (sold separately) to create new drum sounds. Easily transfer VST files via microphone or line-in jack.
- REPEATS SELECTED SOUNDS - The built-in step multiplier enables you to repeat selected sounds. You can also create a whole full song with the onboard 64 patterns and pattern chaining.
- WORKS AS STANDALONE - You can use this Pocket Operator alone with the use of the onboard Knowles speaker. No need for external gears.
- SYNCS WITH MULTIPLE POCKET OPERATORS - The PO-32 has 5 sync modes so you can use it as a master or slave unit. You can also connect it with external devices like computers, volca, or SyncKontrol.
The PO-33 is deemed to be a micro-sampler.
It’s a micro sampler with 40 seconds sample memory and built-in recording microphone.
Like the PO-32 it takes two AAA batteries.
- PROVIDES 40 SECONDS OF SAMPLING MEMORY - The Teenage Engineering PO-33 has a built-in microphone for you to record 40-seconds of samples directly.
- PLAYS YOUR SAMPLES CHROMATICALLY OR AS ONE-SHOTS - The 8 melodic slots let you play your own samples chromatically while the 8 drum banks play your sample as a one-shot.
- ADDS PERCUSSION TO YOUR PERFORMANCE - The PO-33 is a 4-voice sampler. Its built-in micro drum machine allows you to layer more drum sounds over the sample recording.
- ENHANCES YOUR SOUNDS - You can add a loop or stutter FX from the 16 onboard effects to create knockout samples.
- SYNCS WITH MULTIPLE UNITS - You can connect PO-33 KO with 2 other Pocket Operators using standard stereo audio cables. You can also sync PO-33 with external devices like a PC.
The PO-35 or “speak” model is a vocal sampler.
It’s a vocal synthesizer and sequencer with built-in microphone for 8 different voice character sampling.
- CREATES UNIQUE VOCAL SOUNDS - The Teenage Engineering PO-35 offers 8 voice characters: Neutral, Autotune, Retro, Noise, Robot, Fifth, Vocoder, and Synth.
- PROVIDES 120 SECONDS OF SAMPLING MEMORY - The Pocket Operator Speak features a built-in recording microphone that allows you to record up to 120s of samples.
- LETS YOU FINE TUNE YOUR SAMPLES - The transpose and change scale functions enable you to play your samples musically and to fine-tune the sounds further.
- SUPPORTS MICROTONIC VST/AU TRANSFER - You can combine PO-35 with a MicroTonic Plug-In (sold separately) to create new drum sounds. Easily transfer VST files via microphone or line-in jack.
- SYNCS WITH MULTIPLE UNITS - You can connect PO-35 Speak with 2 other Pocket Operators using standard stereo audio cables. You can also sync PO-35 with external devices like a PC.
Here’s a close-up look at the PO-35.
The Easy Way To Make Electronic Music
Is it easy to use these?
Yes, first of all they’ve eschewed the traditional synth terminology of simpler labels.
And they provide lessons – which are very easy to follow along.
And what else do you need to start making music?
Nothing – all of these have a built-in speaker.
But, for better sound quality , connect up to headphones or to a sound system.
Want to dabble in electronic music?
The Pocket Operator line of synths from Teenage Engineering are a great place to start.
They are simple, fun, and affordable.
Last update on 2021-03-08 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API